If you work in the aerospace industry, you already understand the importance of quality assurance and risk management when it comes to manufacturing parts and products. But how can you be sure that you’ve found a supplier who adheres to the highest possible standards? One way is to confirm that they’re AS9100 certified.
AS9100 certification is especially imperative for the aerospace sector, but companies in all industries are now recognizing the value of this certification. Working with an AS9100 certified supplier means feeling confident that the stringent processes required for this accreditation filter down into every new job a supplier takes on.
No matter what industry you’re part of, you’ll benefit from Reata Engineering’s AS9100 certification and associated processes.
What Is AS9100 Certification?
An AS9100 certification is an extension of ISO 9001, which ensures a company has developed, implemented, and maintains a quality management system that conforms to requirements defined by International Standards.
ISO 9001 is an international standard that applies to any organization in any industry. AS9100, on the other hand, is an extension of this accreditation developed specifically for the aerospace industry and maintained by SAE International.
AS9100 includes additional requirements for:
- Planning for product realization: project management, risk management, configuration management, control of work transfers
- Design and development: design verification and validation
- Purchasing: supplier control, information sent to suppliers
- Production and services: verification of production processes, controls on production equipment
- Product monitoring and measurement: criteria for rejection, special measurement instructions
Why AS9100 Certification Is Crucial for the Aerospace Industry
There’s no margin of error when it comes to aerospace machining. Flight critical is its own standard, and any failure or malfunction can result in catastrophic failure. Keeping people safe is the number one imperative, whether we’re talking about a plane carrying passengers to their destination or a missile staying on track.
AS9100 certification is not required for all aerospace part production, but if you need to keep a helicopter in the air or launch a vehicle on its trajectory, you certainly want more than the bare minimum. When aerospace companies work with AS9100 certified suppliers like Reata Engineering, they can have peace of mind knowing that they’re getting the best quality parts and adherence to rigorous processes.
Benefits of Working with an AS9100 Certified Supplier
It’s not uncommon for lower tier suppliers to avoid seeking out the AS9100 certification—even if they’re building for the aerospace sector. But there are major advantages to working with suppliers that adhere to AS9100 standards:
- Quality control efficiency. As part of the AS9100 process, suppliers are heavily audited, and all that information is stored in an international database. Suppliers higher in the chain can accept the audit that has already occurred without having to perform an additional audit, although most suppliers will perform their own quality control as well.
- Baseline trust. Although the company at the top of the supply chain must always provide comprehensive quality control, it’s reassuring for them to know that suppliers throughout the chain have chosen to become AS9100 certified.
- Commitment to continuous improvement. Would you rather work with a supplier who’s leading the charge in quality assurance and risk management or one that’s getting by on the bare minimum until the next regulation forces them to adapt? You’ll notice the difference when you choose a supplier who’s committed to improvement— voluntarily!
The team at Reata Engineering works hard to provide the best experience for customers in the aerospace sector and the many other industries we serve. We’re proud to be AS9100 certified to ensure the highest quality and the lowest risk for aerospace manufacturing. Request a quote and we’ll respond in 24 hours.